If you reside in Colorado, the District of Columbia, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Maryland, Massachusetts, Missouri, Nebraska, New Jersey, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Virginia, and Wisconsin, your best option is to obtain a Texas Adjuster License. Please check this information with the state licensing agency as requirements can change.

With this license, you can handle storm damage to property, automobile claims including property damage & bodily injury, slip-and-fall injuries and just about any other type of claim.


There are some claims which require an additional certification, and it might be the type of adjuster that is in demand. So after you get your adjuster license, you may also want to get certified to handle the types of claims listed below.

Flood Claims

To handle flood claims, one must also have a flood certificate from FEMA (fema.gov). FEMA includes the National Flood Insurance Program. Flood policies may be issued by FEMA or they may be issued by standard insurance companies but with FEMA language and backing. "Flood claim" does not include water damages from a broken pipe in a structure. Flood policies cover rising water from a natural source and you need a flood certificate to handle it.

Coastal Wind Claims

You can handle a wind claim in most states with this license. However, you may have to have a special "wind & hail" certificate from the state to handle claims in that state. In Texas, coastal wind & hail coverage is provided and overseen by a state agency called TWIA (Texas Wind Insurance Association). In other coastal states, the coastal wind & hail coverage is offered by a similar entity called Citizens Insurance.

Crop Insurance Claims

You can not handle claims to growing crops. That type of claim requires a Crop Adjuster Certification/License. Getting the certificate requires about a few days in class and an apprenticeship with the company who hires you. The best way to learn about crop adjusting is to search the Internet.


You will need an earthquake certificate and your adjuster license to handle this type of claim. Earthquake classes are held several times a year as live classes and online.

What steps should I take in order to be hirable as an adjuster?

1. Obtain your adjusters license.
2. Get carrier certified (State Farm, Allstate, Liberty, USAA, etc). These classes are normally free or have a very low cost.
3. Apply with one or several claims contractors.
4. Go to an Xactimate (property) and/or Mitchell/Audatex (auto) training course. This is where you will learn how to use the adjusting software.
5. Attend a basic property adjusting course and/or a basic auto adjusting course through one of the claims contractors (Worley, Eberls, Wardlaw, Pilot, etc). Even though our courses are a great learning experience, it is our opinion that your money is best spent learning how to adjust losses from the company that hires you. Some claims companies will want you to take their basic property and/or basic auto course from them before deploying you.

How many states will accept the Texas Adjusters License (Reciprocity)?

States currently known to us as states that reciprocate with Texas:

New Hampshire
New Mexico
North Carolina
Rhode Island
South Carolina
West Virginia

You may also adjust losses in the states that do not require an adjuster license as well as the states listed above.

Will the VA or G.I. Bill assist with the tuition?
Apparently not. We have attempted repeatedly to get answers from the VA but with no success thus far.
Is there a market for adjusters?
The market for adjusters is no different than any other profession, with a notable exception. In this industry, the market becomes much better following a major catastrophe such as a hurricane or earthquake.
Will I need more training after your class?
Put yourself in an employer's place. Would you prefer an employee who strives to be better than the rest, or an employee who just got a license and nothing more? Some employers prefer a licensed, untrained and untainted person who can enter the workplace with no preexisting bad habits. Each company has its own way of doing things.
Will those with no prior training or experience walk right into a high paying job following our class?
As a general rule, no. However, without the appropriate license, there will be no chance of getting any adjuster position. We normally council those with no experience to talk to other employed adjusters and make up their own mind about what's needed.
What's the difference between an adjuster, inspector and appraiser?
Following a covered loss, an adjuster, also called "claims representative", delivers the benefits of an insurance policy that an insurance agent sells. Inspectors and appraisers generally are not licensed. Someone who estimates damage to an automobile, but who does not settle claims or discuss coverage, is often referred to as an auto appraiser, but that's not a licensed profession. It should however, include a lot of training and sometimes involves professional certification. There are also home inspectors and appraisers. Those may be licenses issued by the Texas Real Estate Commission or some other governmental authority.
What are the requirements to be an adjuster?
There are requirements to get licensed, and there are requirements to get hired. Getting a license requires the applicant to be at least 18 years old, trustworthy, must have no pending felonies or past criminal records involving moral turpitude, and pass a test of your competence. However, it's safe to say that every company is going to have to be convinced that you are trustworthy, dependable, you have a measure of common sense, you have a spirit of fairness, you work well with people and you are willing to work as hard as the situation calls for. Some companies prefer a trainee with no experience and some require experience because there is no time to train.
How many different types of adjusters are there?

There are three Texas adjuster licenses, but there are dozens of types of adjusters. They are:
1. Property & Casualty can handle any claim except workers compensation
2. All Lines can handle any claim
3. Workers Compensation Only

Adjusters who hold our Property Casualty Adjuster License and work only catastrophic losses (declared as such by the appropriate authority) would be referred to as catastrophe adjusters. Adjusters who work year round routine assignments like auto accidents, slip-and-fall, house fires, medical professional liability and water leaks, etc, are licensed the same way and likely work on the staff of one particular insurance company or one independent claim company.

How much do adjusters make?
On the conservative side, adjusters will make anywhere from $22,000 to $250,000. Like any other profession, it depends upon the adjuster, experience, skills, education, capabilities, common sense, attitude, willingness to work and weather.
Does AAA Training Unlimited provide financial assistance?
No. There's never been a significant demand for financial assistance. We are proud of the fact that we have had a number of students sent to us by the Texas Rehabilitation Commission or DARS.
Do adjusters have to have a 4 year degree?
No. It depends wholly on the company one is attempting to work for.
Can women be adjusters?
Of course. This question has come up several times. Don't know why.
Does someone need experience to be an adjuster?
Naturally, experience may be required in some cases and it may help in others. However, there are employers who want people with no experience, because they don't want to have to re-train old habits.
Does Training Unlimited provide job placement?
No. We will give you a lot of valuable information which will aide you in a job search.
What do I need to bring to class?
Bring something to write with, including a highlighter, and an inexpensive calculator. It is a good idea to bring clothing appropriate for a 20 degree temperature swing.
Is there another test following the Training Unlimited class?
No. Once you pass our test, there are no other tests for you to take. If one wants to take the Texas adjuster exam “cold” he or she may do so at the state's designated testing contractor's facility.
What should I study prior to coming to class?
We don't recommend that adjuster candidates attempt to study anything before class other than the self-study. We'll give you all you can handle in class. It is a very good idea to research and register for a class on Xactimate software and/or a class in practical adjusting. These are examples of training that will put you ahead of others when competing for jobs.
I have heard that "disaster adjusting" is easy money. Is that true?
Nothing could be further from the truth and anyone who has perpetuated that notion has never done it. A cat adjuster can make a lot of money, but there's nothing easy about it.
Criminal Record
If you have a misdemeanor or felony on your record, whether or not it occurred as a minor, you will have to provide specific information to the department of insurance. This does not automatically disqualify you for an adjuster license. You must follow the exact instructions on the TDI application. It is a good idea for you to phone the Texas Department Of Insurance and ask before incurring any expense at 512.676.6500 or 866.554.4926.
Split classes
We have no problem with a student splitting up a class to accommodate the student's schedule as long as the student completes the appropriate number of hours in class and takes and passes the final exam.
Special Classes
We will bring our training program to your location as long as we can agree on a time & price. We've been to every corner of the country and we've been asked to go to Ireland and to Ontario.
If you hold either of these professional designations you do not need this class to obtain your Texas Property Casualty Adjuster license. Contact us or the Texas Department of Insurance (512) 322-3503 for information.